1 year seems too short from my perspective. As a downstream package
maintainer, I release many packages less often than SymPy makes releases
and keeping up with deprecations disappearing effectively each SymPy
release would be stressful. I would advocate for at least 2 years, which
equates to at least a couple of SymPy releases. Or even stating something
like "deprecations can be removed if they've existed both for two years and
two SymPy releases".

I also think the current method of leaving the deprecations in indefinitely
is fine and preferable. I don't think having a policy written in a way that
encourages people to constantly look for deprecations that are just over
the minimum time period to immediately remove them. They should really only
be removed when they both reach the minimum AND are causing some issue with
new code refactoring or designs.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791