>  Alternatively, if you are only using SymPy interactively, you can clone
the SymPy git repository and run Python (or Jupyter or IPython) from that
directory, without installing it.

Unfortunately, I don't recommend this because that makes jupyter notebooks
appear on the git diff.
There are ways to install sympy editable by "pip install -e <sympy
directory>"
Also I think that it should be worth noting how to set up ediable sympy in
more modern virtual environment, like pipenv or poetry
 because that can be a good tutorial to contribute to sympy codebase, while
using the editable version.