Dear Group,

This is probably not feasible, but imagine an AI program that could take a small SymPi program together with the desired output. The goal would be devise a modification of the program so that would work.

Obviously such a program could not always work, but if it could solve a reasonable percentage of such problems, it would ease the workload of those who answer these queries and make SymPy more attractive to inexperienced users.

For example, I sent the following faulty program to the group a few days ago:

import sympy
from sympy import *
k=symbols("k")
f=Function("f")
print("f(k)=",f(k))
print("sum=",sum(f(k),(0,k,10)))

The intended output was:

f(0)+f(1)+f(2)+f(3)+f(4)+f(5)+f(6)+f(7)+f(8)+f(9)+f(10)

The program used 'sum' instead of 'Sum' and the order of the iterator was scrambled - it was a total goof, I admit!

Thus ideally the output from ChatGPT would simply correct the program - not solve the problem a different way, such as merely printing out the desired answer! I.e. it would 'realise' the intention of the author of the query.

David