On 03/07/2023 14:44, gu...@uwosh.edu wrote:
David,

I want to make sure I understand the behavior you would prefer, because I think I can implement it in algebra-with-sympy <https://gutow.github.io/Algebra_with_Sympy/algebra_with_sympy.html>. The package already does some pre-parsing, so I think I could handle it there.

Here is what I think you are asking for:
1. Any number that is not in scientific notation and does not contain a decimal point would be considered an integer and be converted to S().
2. All other numerical values would be treated as they normally are.

Yes, that describes what I want completely!

I wonder if you should ban exponential notation completely from your tool except for a final step in which real numbers might be substituted into an expression?

I mean 3e4 looks very confusing in an algebraic expression, and if you permit implicit multiplication as in hand algebra it is ambiguous. Anyway performing algebra with expressions containing real numbers is decidedly dangerous.

Davis