Hi, I am working on a nicer terminal display for Maxima based on Unicode
characters. I've made some progress and I am hoping to get some info about
how Sympy displays stuff which could inform the stuff I'm doing.

On my Ubuntu system, it looks like isympy makes use of Unicode characters
for approximating the display of integral, sum, product, etc. in a
terminal. E.g. looks like an integral is drawn with TOP_HALF_INTEGRAL,
BOTTOM_HALF_INTEGRAL, and INTEGRAL_EXTENSION, and sum and product make use
of Unicode drawing characters BOX_DRAWINGS_LIGHT_VERTICAL and so on. That
all makes sense to me, I've already arranged something similar.

A Maxima user reports that it is nontrivial to get the font stuff sorted
out on MS Windows. Among other problems, he wasn't able to find a font
which has a glyph for INTEGRAL_EXTENSION.

How does Sympy display integrals etc. on MS Windows? Does Sympy run in a
command terminal or does it manage the display itself or leave it to a
third party (e.g. Jupyter) to handle the display? Does the user have to
install certain fonts along with Sympy?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this stuff. I'll be glad to look at
the source code if anyone has some pointers.

best,

Robert Dodier