Greetings!

For a little background, I'm currently working on a hardware device
using 'C' programming of a www.freescale.com HCS08 microcontroller.  I'm
using the www.processorexpert.com plugin for the www.codewarrior.com
IDE.  ProcessorExpert is a neat IDE plugin *written in Delphi* for rapid
component-oriented embedded application development using properties,
methods and events.

The hardware device uses an FTDI USB chip.  On the PC we are using a
virtual COM port driver ( www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm ) and as that
page shows there are drivers for a variety of platforms supported by
Delphi and FreePascal.

I may be forced with this project to implement DLLs and shared libraries
using gcc (the existing main GUI program is cross-platform using
Python).  This has caused me to become more interested in helping to
create an open-source cross-platform program that supports both serial
ports and TCP/IP.  The recent messages on using Synapse on Win CE (ARM)
and Mac OS also helped to push me on this project.

At first I'd like to pick a serial device as well as an ethernet device
and create cross-platform console programs.  Such programs might be good
Synapse and Synaser tutorials.

The second phase would use Lazarus for database and charting support.

For more ideas, here is a Perl program:
   www.klein.com/thermd/
Here is a list of serial and ethernet devices supported:
   http://www.klein.com/thermd/devices.shtml

Any interest, comments or suggestions?

--
Regards,