> The application can have up to 500 clients, each connecting to a
> different server on a LAN. Any server can have power turned off, so I need
> periodic attempts to re-connect, with not too long of a timeout. In this
> case, do you think the 100-ms timeout is too short?

You can have a problems with thread context switching on loaded Windows,
because context switch time can be 20ms. You can miss timeout, just
because other thread on programs on your computer eating CPU.

You can have a problems with larger line latency. For TCP connection you
must  send packet to a server and server must send packet for you. So two
packets must go through line within your 100ms. So, when line have a ping
latency bigger then 100ms (and it is not high value in real world!), then
you cannot establish TCP connaction within your timeout.

--
Lukas Gebauer.

http://synapse.ararat.cz/ - Synapse Delphi and Kylix TCP/IP Library
http://geoget.ararat.cz/ - Geocaching solution