> Do we have an idea when we will have clients that are going to use those new
> APIs?

The existing clients aren’t likely to see a switch like this any time soon.

1. It’s a big (potentially breaking) change that would require different
behavior for 1.1 and 1.5. Client code is currently identical for both servers.
We’d probably think about punting this work until 1.1 support is removed from
the client.

2. There aren’t many hands on deck for Sync client work. I certainly couldn’t
justify doing this work on Android, for example — there’s much more important
stuff to focus on.

3. … because there’s not a lot of upside. Most users don’t hit these cases. XUL
mobile is dead; Android uses a totally different codebase. (I’d review patches
to remove the mobile flags from desktop.)

4. It doesn’t go far enough: I think if we wanted to really tackle big data
sets, we’d need to switch to a fundamentally less broken model than the current
Sync clients use, and using a pagination API would probably be just a small
part of that. A great start is not treating your DBs as scratch storage!

New clients aren’t bound by those constraints, and so new potential platforms
are likely to utilize new capabilities, but those aren’t scoped or implemented
yet.