> So what would happen to clients if the server suddenly has an older
> version of the data? In sync terms this would mean the last modified
> timestamp is older than what a client would have gotten in a previous
> response. Basically time travel.

Clients assume that server versions (née timestamps) always advance. The
protocol makes no provisions for servers losing data after accepting a
write, and no deployed client will recover from this.

Your server should ensure that a success response is returned only when
data has been durably written.

The only acceptable alternative is that you wipe the server in this case;
clients will detect and recover from that. (There are some more nuanced
kinds of 'wipe the server' that we can talk about if you like.)