Replies inline.

-R

> Moving this discussion to the public sync-dev list since there's nothing
> private about it.

Thanks, Matt.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Joe Cheng <jch...@mozilla.com> wrote:

>>    -
>>
>>    Can the sync engine land in a system extension?

There's no significant reason why not, assuming that my understanding of
current system extensions is correct.

Adding a sync engine is not a trivial task, but it doesn't matter how the
code gets into the browser.

Care must be taken that the ability to rapidly release the implementation
of one engine (or keep it out of lockstep with the main repo) doesn't cause
problems: if the internal Sync interfaces in Firefox change, for example,
there will need to be a safe transition period in a system extension,
released first, that supports both.

>>    -
>>
>>       Or can we use extension syncing?
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, so I'll answer all the
possibilities:

- Sync syncs add-ons. That's not relevant to this.
- Sync just like an add-on does. Add-ons can implement the interfaces that
Sync exposes (indeed, Stylish and ABP do so). This is a little more prone
to breakage than having Firefox do it, and tying into main UI is harder,
but it works.
- Use chrome.storage.sync for storage: an add-on friendly API for
synchronized storage. This is feasible, but the implementation is newer
(and thus less heavily tested). This only works on desktop for now.

>>    -
>>
>>          Does that allow us to migrate to a core engine in the future?
>>
>> Typically yes. The main concerns are:

- Putting prefs in the right places.
- Keeping the right names the same.
- Matching coding style and features.

>>    -
>>
>>    Does an engine need sync server support?

Usually not. In some cases in the past (perhaps not now) the server treats
some collections differently — e.g., `tabs` are kept in memcached and never
written to disk.

Regardless of which path you choose, you should be involving Services
Operations long before reaching a release channel in order to forecast load
and scale; we can address this question at that point.