On 31 May 2018 at 10:22, Mark Hammond <mhamm...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 31/05/2018 9:28 am, Ryan Kelly wrote:
>

>> My summary of this thread:
>>
>> 1) Rebooting with no further intervention is safe; it will lose synced
>> tabs data until each device uploads a new tab bundle, but otherwise sync
>> will work as normal.
>> 2) We might be able hasten the re-upload of synced tabs by fiddling with
>> the syncIDs in /meta/global, but it's not clear that's worth the hassle or
>> the risk of accidental bustage.
>>

> I think my last comment on this was missing another subtlety - for a
> desktop device that's running when this reboot happens, the device will
> re-upload tabs on the next sync if there have been changes made to tabs on
> that device.
>
> IOW, if that device is being actively used (ie, opening new tabs or
> switching current tabs), the longest you'd need to wait for the tabs to be
> uploaded is 10 minutes.

Right, the failure case here would be something like "I left some tabs open
on my work computer, and now I want to access them from home", where the
work computer might be switched off or inactive with no reason to restore
its synced tabs.

   Ryan

If the device is *not* being actively used then it will take a restart (or