Thom,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:08 PM, Thom Chiovoloni <tchiovol...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> So, it came up in the Sync.Next meeting today that we're a bit concerned
> about the mentat binary size, and don't know where it comes from, etc. My
> completely unfounded suspicion has been that there are some easy wins here.
> So I decided to see if this is true. (I'm sending this to the sync-dev
> mailing list even though it's clearly the wrong place mostly because it
> would get completely lost if I just posted it in the slack channel, and it
> seems plausible that someone might want to refer to it later).

This was my suspicion too, so thank you for digging in and producing this
excellent report.

> I decided to test using the mentat-cli binary, built for a 64-bit mac.
> Because that's the platform I use, and because binaries are a lot easier to
> do measurements on than libraries. Especially when we do LTO, which we do,
> also, on binaries you can actually `strip` them without reading a bunch of
> manpages on what flags to pass `strip` [0].
>
> Anyway, the baseline on my machine for mentat_cli is 9539784 bytes
> (9.5MBish), after running `strip` it shrinks to 7855608 bytes.
>
> First step is changing the optimization level to one that is set to
> optimize for size. There are two of these, opt-level "s" and "z", opt-level
> "z" being the more substantial. This shrunk the binary to 9114776 bytes,
> 5352264 after strip.
>
> The next idea I had is that a lot of the libraries we import seem to
> involve networking. The only network code we have is in `tolstoy`, which is
> very experimental and not something we're planning on using in production.
> Moving this to live under a `feature` flag reduces our size to 7396480
> bytes, 4571776 bytes after strip.

The WIP branch that Grisha and I are working on includes a "syncable"
feature that does this, so we'll handle being able to avoid Hyper, etc in
the very near future.  But thanks for the reminder!

> I also noticed a few libraries that had multiple versions built.
> Specifically `regex` seems like it might be heavy (at the very least, it
> has dependent crates), and we're building both 0.2 and 1.0.1 (the former is
> specified by mentat_query_sql, and the latter by env_logger). Moving both
> of these to be 1.0.1 brings the size down to 6565472 bytes, 4036968 after
> strip.
>
> (Worth noting that regex is a transitive dependency from `env_logger`,
> which I suspect we aren't thrilled with, and the use of it inside
> mentat_query_sql could probably be trivially rewritten
> <https://github.com/mozilla/mentat/blob/master/query-sql/src/lib.rs#L567>
> to avoid the dependency.)

I filed a few issues rooted at https://github.com/mozilla/mentat/issues/772.
We should definitely cull `regex`, but `env_logger` is an application
choice more than a Mentat choice.

> There are probably other targets for this (the `memchr` lib seems to be
> included twice, but while I've done exactly no checking, my gut says it
> doesn't have the same heft as `regex`).

Is it possible to estimate a size metric for each of our dependencies?
Yes, it's difficult with LTO/inlining/dead code removal, but it would help
gauge where to put effort.

Thanks for getting this started!
Nick