On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 20:22 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Hello!
>
> For those who work with the SyncEvolution upstream repository: I have
> implemented a new mechanism for testing patches before integrating them
> into a branch.
>
> Any branch which gets pushed as "for-master/<branch name>" will get
> merged into the "master" branch by the runtest.py script and thus be
> covered by the nightly testing. That also works for older branches, like
> syncevolution-1-2-branch.

After playing with this I ran into a minor issue in the workflow: after
merging or reorganizing a patch, the "for-master/..." branch should be
removed again to avoid needless resp. obsolete merging.

I can delete the branch in the gitorious repo with
  git push origin :<branch name>

But then on the nightly build machine,
  git fetch origin
will *not* remove the branch.

Can someone think of a solution? I imagine that removing all remote
branches and then doing the "git fetch" should work, but perhaps there
is a more elegant way?

A related question: I noticed that "git fetch" did not get all tags,
whereas "git fetch --tags" did not update all branches. So now I do "git
fetch && git fetch --tags". Can this be combined?

Hmm, probably I need to extend the list of refs to be fetched from
remote "origin". This is what I have currently in .git/config:

[remote "origin"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        url = g...@gitorious.org:meego-middleware/syncevolution.git

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.