Patrick Ohly <patrick.ohly@...> writes:

> > > Wow, strong words. Good to that you make your frustration known before
> > > it eats you alive
> >
> > Just becoming a serious pet peeve.  Especially because I've spent a helluva
> > lot of time hunting for a solution before I resorted to public wailing.
> > The
> > popups occasionally catch a mouse click,
>
> Because they pop up under the mouse?

On my multi-monitor godforsaken Gnome3 desktop they appear almost in
random locations and sometimes popup and block something I'm trying to
click on to get focus because the "focus follows mouse" setting doesn't work
so well, if at all.  Admittedly some of the popups are also due to email.

> >  but they also leave the notification
> > icon live tempting me to distraction to check it...
>
> True.
>
> > I'd be happy to hand edit one of the config(ini) files...
> >
> > I only have one sync peer, so I'm not really qualified to answer per
peer/global.

> If the user wants different settings for different peers, the setting
> has to be per peer.
>
> If the user wants the same setting for all peers, including those not
> configured yet, and wants to turn them on and off for all peers at once,
> then it has to be global.
>
> I personally expect the second case to be more likely. But what do I
> know... user preferences are notoriously hard to predict

Agreed that user prefs are impossible to predict.  If it's not too
much coding, many hierarchical config frameworks allow a global setting
which can be over-ridden by a per-peer setting.

> > If it's straightforward, I would think that separating "info" versus "error"
> > would make a lot of sense.
>
> There could be a "notify level" similar to the current log level: 0 =
> everything, 1 = only errors, 2 = errors and info messages.

What's the difference between 0 and 2?  I would think that 0 = nothing?