Hi -

I am having trouble getting my N9 to sync with my Linux box, probably at
least partially due to my limited understanding of how the N9 is set up
internally.

I first tried syncml-ds-tool, which allows me to shuffle data back and
forth via USB/OBEX or Bluetooth/OBEX, but no real record-wise sync.

I then tried opensync over bluetooth, but am having persistent bluetooth
problems (I cannot browes files on the N9 over obexftp using any tool,
for example), so I gave up on this front for now.  Any advice would be
appreciated.

I have not tried opensync over USB.  Perhaps this would be a promising
route.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I tried syncevolution over bluetooth, but persistently got transport
errors (presumably for the same reasons as the opensync troubles), and
gave up for now.

I then installed
http://people.debian.org/~ovek/harmattan/syncevolution_1.2.1-1_armel.deb
on the N9, and set up syncevolution with syncevo-http-server on the
laptop.  This produced first success: I can sync contacts and multiple
caledars over an IP connection.  However:

- There appears to be no way to sync memos and todos using this setup.
  Both are apparently stored inside /home/user/.calendar/db on the N9,
  along with the calendar data, but from inspecting the source code of
  this Harmattan syncevolution build it appears that these cannot
  currently be sync'ed because this has simply not yet been implemented.

- Sync is extremely slow.  My 1000+ contacts take more than 10 minutes
  to sync, even if there are no changes on either side.  (On my Palm
  this takes about 1 second, even if there are records to be sync'ed.)
  The N9 syncevolution client fully charges the CPU for much of this
  time.

- I had trouble getting all of my data onto the N9 because of timeouts
  and other issues.  I was completely unable to transfer my 13 years
  worth of appointments ("D-Bus peer has disconnected" after many
  minutes and transferring 212/5955 appointments), and had to resort to
  moving the entire past into an unsync'ed calendar on the laptop.

Thus, I am interested in trying out the N9's built-in sync facilities
instead of the custom Harmattan syncevolution client, but I have found
no way to do this:

- Is there a way to use syncevolution on the laptop to initiate a sync
  with the N9 using OBEX over USB?

- I have not found a way initiate on the N9 a sync with the laptop
  (short of installing Funambol or something, which I'd prefer to
  avoid).

- The latter should work via bluetooth, but I have not found a way to
  get my laptop to advertise OPP, so the N9 does not offer the (paired)
  laptop as a sync peer.  Any hints?

Given this experience, I am puzzled by Fredrik's announcement of success:

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 12:59 +0200, Frederik Elwert wrote:

> I recently got a Nokia N9, and I am now experimenting with
> SyncEvolution to get my Desktop and the N9 in sync.
>
> It started fairly promising: I could add the N9 with the Nokia
> template in sync-ui. In general, sync works quite fine. So the N9
> seems to be capable enough by default to get this kind of things
> right.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious?  Any suggestions are welcome.

Justus