Hi Stuart,

These are all great ideas and I'm working to implement some of them 
ASAP. I am
also planning on some semi-automated detection algorithms as soon as I can
resurrect the "statistics" portion of my brain. The last time that I did 
any probability
stuff was in 1980 or so.

Keep the good ideas coming!

Jeff;

Stuart Whitmore wrote:

>Hi Jeff (and everyone),
>
>I've looked a few times at the News page on Syndic8.com, and often it
>is filled with what looks like postings in spam blogs.  Aside from
>being an easy way to find feeds to reject, this strikes me as a bad
>thing for multiple reasons:  First, it helps the spammers by
>increasing their exposure.  Second, it decreases the value of that
>page for Syndic8 users.
>
>I was thinking it would be really cool if that page was modified so
>that it only showed headlines for feeds that meet specific criteria
>that should eliminate most or all of the "junk."  For example, it
>could only display headlines for feeds that were suggested by a
>Syndic8 user (i.e., not by a ping or something like that), and maybe
>only if that user has a certain number of points -- not something
>exorbitant, but maybe 10 or 25.  An added feature might be to randomly
>select somebody in the top 100 users (point-wise) to "highlight" for a
>month with any of their headlines appearing on top (or, that position
>could be another revenue source).
>
>I don't know what changes would be required on the back end for this
>to happen, but I wanted to at least get the idea out there to be
>kicked around.
>
>--
>Stuart Whitmore
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.just-stuart.com/
>
>
>
>If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)
>
>To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
>http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
>(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)
>
>To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
>Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
> 
>
>
>
>  
>

-- 
* RSS Feeds:       http://www.syndic8.com                    
* Blog:            http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/
* Web Services:    http://aws.typepad.com
* Resume:          http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/resume.html




------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to