Earlier this month, when I asked about how to review sites that were inactive,  
Stuart (Whitmore) advised me:
  
  You  can look through earlier message threads on this list about this aspect  
of reviewing feeds, but I personally would not mark a feed    "dead" based only 
on lack of activity unless the last entry was over a    year ago (unless the 
final entry specifically states that the  blog or feed won't be updated 
anymore).
      
  Some  feeds just aren't meant to have a lot of traffic, and if that meets the 
 needs of the publisher and subscribers, we're not doing anyone a favor  to 
reject such feeds based on lack of activity.
      
  As  I see it, our main role is to ensure that the feed is technically sound  
and not spam, and *not* make editorial decisions about the content or  the 
frequency of activity.
  
  I'm  not sure where to find the earlier message threads on this. But it just  
doesn't feel right to me. Are we sure? Stuart? Anyone?
  
 I'm  happy about not making editorial judgements on content, but if, as I'm  
finding time after time, the feed hasn't been updated since last  summer, what 
is the point? 
  
 I hear what Stuart says about  some feeds just not being very active, but why 
would you even create a  feed for something that happened at a frequency 
greater than a month?  The internet, and RSS in particular, is a broadcast 
medium. As far as  I'm concerned if nobody has touched it in the last six 
months it would  be better off gathering dust in a library archive. Syndic8 
should be an  index of the living, not a graveyard of the dead.
  
  Am I being too harsh? If so, say so. I don't mind. I'll do what I'm told!  
  
  Nedguy
  
                
---------------------------------
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! 
Security Centre.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to