Hello,

I am currently trying to revive the Debian package for synfig and get it back into the Debian/Ubuntu package archives. During this, occassion, I noticed that there is a separate "ETL" library which is described as being

  "[...] a multi-platform class and template library designed to add
  new datatypes and functions which combine well with the existing
  types and functions from the C++ Standard Template Library (STL)."

However, the library seems to contain a lot of graphics-related classes which probably better fit into the synfig core library. It also does not seem to be used anywhere else not used anywhere outside of synfig, so there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it to be separate. (ETL also contains quite a few classes for use cases which are perfectly addressed by the C++ standard library these days - for instance, for reference counting there is the excellent shared_ptr - but this is a whole other topic for itself.)

So how about merging ETL into synfig-core for the next release? This would greatly simplify packaging; trying to get a library used by only a single application into distributions is not easy (and for good reasons). Doing so should be trivial, given that ETL seems to consist of only of headers - it should be as easy as copying the files over and doing some minor tweaks. (With the proper guidance, I would be willing to do that work.)

The only real problem might be that existing branches with modifications to ETL might need some work to merge cleanly, but as git recognizes moved files by similarity, this shouldn't be much a problem (though that would have to be tested).

What do you think?

Regards,
Denis Washington