Hello,

2) > but it does have build_images step mentioned: `cmake --build . --
build_images`
  When I was building synfig the last time, I just skimmed the build
instructions, esp. the listing in section "Building". I did not run the
commands from that listing verbatim one by one, for several reasons: I did not
want any RelWithDebInfo build, I needed to add -std=c++11 to the CXXFLAGS, ...
This way I missed the line with the build_images target. Should have read the
listing more carefully -- my bad, sorry :)
  I built synfig once more using the cmake build tooling. This time it worked
out fine, target build_images provided all necessary .png images (and images
were not mostly transparent pixels only as with the autotools build).

3) > The algorithm there is pretty much "take all .sif and render them
to .png".
  Do you use cmake's file GLOB for that? I would suggest to list all .sif files
that need to be processed separately, it's basically one `ls -1 *.sif` plus
copy-and-paste form terminal to editor. E.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32411963/why-is-cmake-file-glob-evil

4) I would guess that it's a more general linux/unix library handling issue
which should be addressed if we consider ETL a library independent from synfig
and possibly used also by other projects that might use autotools or even
another build system. It *might* even be an issue that would need to get
addressed in the cmake tooling itself rather than in the build configuration of
synfig -- I don't know too much how this is done with cmake and what specific
mechanisms autotools uses here ... :(

7) The line
$ cmake -GNinja ../src -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fdiagnostics-color"
for building synfig-studio should be
$ cmake -GNinja ..     -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-fdiagnostics-color"
(as far as I understand), build_images target in unknown otherwise.

8) One more workaround I did when building and installing synfig the last time
(which I forgot to mention earlier): I copied synfig/color/color.hpp to
/usr/local/include/synfig/color/color.hpp because the file was included and not
found from synfig-studio. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly whether I did
this for the cmake or for the autotools build, but I guess it was with the
cmake build. color.hpp was the only file I needed to copy.

Best regards, happy new year,

Thilo