On 6/14/2017 7:58 AM, Bryan Vest wrote:
This may seem like a question I should know the answer to and I think I do
but just want to verify. Who is the main developer on SA? I know overall
development is a crew of volunteer's and would assume Kevin has the final
say, just want to make sure.

--Bryan

Great question and NOT how it works at all sorry to say. But it's ok because I knowingly created sysadmins out of people not committing to the project so it makes sense you wouldn't know this. And it gives me the opportunity to introduce you guys a bit to something we call the Apache Way.

There is no main developer. I just happen to have been around a long time and I'm working to make sure the community is healthy.

NOTE: I am, however, the volunteer for the release manager so you'll see me making decisions solely to build consensus and get it done.

Plus we work on a system of meritocracy where leadership is by merit earned. Hopefully, I've earned a lot of merit and there is a method of Just Do It (tm) so when you see something that needs doing, you have the keys to the castle and you get it done. You can see this in certain stances on Review Then Commit (RTC) and Commit Then Review (CTR).

We have a project management committee and a VP of the PMC reports to the board. But everything is by consensus.

This type of programming methodology permeates how the entire ASF operates.

Some info about this at Apache: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

This will make more sense over time. A lot of people are like WTF and it takes a few years and then they really embrace it.