Well crap. I found another odd dependency that throws off the masscheck processing thrown off when commits are done outside the few hour window:

https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InfraNotes2017#nitemc

automc@sa-vm1:~$ ~/svn/trunk/build/mkupdates/run_nightly
+ promote_active_rules
+ pwd
/usr/local/spamassassin/automc/svn/trunk
+ /usr/bin/perl build/mkupdates/listpromotable
HTTP get: http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/1-days-ago?xml=1
no 'mcviewing', 'mcsubmitters' microformats on day 1
+ exit 25

This is a critical cron job that sets up the new rule promotions daily. I will dig into this one deeper but it seems that if the masscheck SA revision gets out of sync with new commits that may not even be ruleset-related, then days have to pass with no commits before the stars will align properly again. Geez. What a mess with this workflow!

I think we need to carefully document the current SVN workflow and redesign it to handle this better. The masscheck processing of rulesets only needs to be tied to the ruleset revision staged in the rsync area for the current 24 hour period. Maybe we need a new masscheck-specific tag separate from the rule promotion tags today?

Rule promotions can happen at any time, multiple times a day as long as they pass a lint check.

Masscheck validation are currently only done once a day.

My intial thoughts are parts of the scripts are using the latest SVN revision and part are using the latest tagged revision from rule promotions. When these get out of sync, we don't get enough masschecking of the proper revision to keep moving everything forward.

Dave