When investigating the recent report of my mirror returning bad tar.gz files, I decided to try and validate the tar.gz files against the tar.gz.sha1 files and I'm initially getting a lot of errors.

I first tried a sha1sum --check against each of the *.sha1 files (okay, I rewrote the paths on the fly). This method shows I am missing a ton of files. A couple examples:

1821598.tar.gz.sha1 only has a hash for "update.tgz", which is not a file I have. 1821598.tar.gz does match though.

1083703.tar.gz.sha1 only has a hash for 1083378.tar.gz, a file I also do not possess.

If I just compare the *.tar.gz files against a matching *.tar.gz.sha1 file and only look at the hash (ignoring the filenames completely) then everything validates correctly, so I don't believe I have any data errors. This helps to confirm my belief that my issue was due to overly aggressive caching on the web server and not due to any problems on the underlying storage.

Is it expected that the filenames within the .sha1 files don't reflect reality?