Hi,

If I recall correctly, there was a possibility of replay attacks if the
counter could wrap. That's why SNMP latches it. Given the 68 year
timeframe, wrap shouldn't be required.

(I remember questioning whether we shouldn't wrap when this was being
developed, and Marshall Rose assured me he would personally come reset
my devices every 68 years if I found it problematic ;-)

Dbh
David Harrington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
co-chair, IETF SNMPv3 WG