Rainer Gerhards writes:

 > It is regarding the syslog TAG. The format described was discussed in
 > the context of syslog-sign-13 but now also applies to
 > syslog-international-00.

You will understand my vote ;-)

 > So I think we need to make a tradeoff decision: we can either
 > a) allow colons in the path name
 > xor ;)
 > b) allow TAG NOT to be terminated by SP

I vote A.

 > Selecting
 > a) will break compliance for older clients (how many?)

No it will NOT,

Syslog-rfc* is (now) step by step, faraway by beeing 100% complice to
old implementations e.g. "long timestamp, DNS hostname, etc. This bit
will not change this.

Futher, I guess most implementation do not use the collon. It just
text for them! (The use PRI and "programname" only)

See you

BTW
I have got a quick look to yout presenation. But need more time to
give feedback. (But no error found) Like the "layer idea".

--
ALbert Mietus
        Send prive mail to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]