Hi Glenn,

The benefit of having an SNMP trap is that there becomes some
coordination between the syslog messaging and SNMP trap manager
applications.

Operators often use trap management tools to alert them to problems, and
these applications often have the ability to filter out uninteresting
traps, to sort by priority, to do fault isolation, and so on. Trap
management utilities can also feed into SNMP-based topology mapping
tools (like HPOV) which can use colored icons to represent serious
problems, and so on.

The problem with a syslog notification is - what would it contain? You
could write one syslog notification for reporting all syslog events by
simply having a varbind with the complete syslog message. That means
that an SNMP trap application cannot do much in terms of sorting by
priority. You could create a notification that ocntains some
standardized values common to syslog messages, such as severity, related
subsystem, vendor, and then include the human-readable string in an
octet string. This might be useful, but it might be less useful than
notifications specific to a technology.

I think the WG needs to discuss the nature of potential notification
designs.

Personally I think such a generalized trap might be a good thing for
improving coordination between syslog and SNMP, but it will depend a
great deal on the actual design and how easily that design can be
utilized by applications.

dbh