Actually, I tend to agree to Anton, that it is not a complicated matter
now. However, we have still a good number of issues open in -protocol.
Basically, protocol includes everything that is needed to support
international messages, but there may be some additional things be
required so that everyone is satisfied (I am not saything this is the
case, I am just speculating!).

I have specifically not mentioned punnycode because I don't like the
idea to build on this still highly political topic. I've just said
"valid DNS name" and I think that should cover punnycode. The length
field - out of my mind - was a max of 255 chars, which will probably
first cause DNS protocol issues than syslog.

So - in short - I'd like to finish -protocol WITHOUT looking too much at
internationalization. Once this is done, we could re-evaluate and see if
we need to address some specifics and - if so - we could do this in
-international. I think there are great chances -international will NOT
be needed.

Rainer