Rainer:

If syslog client sends a message over TCP/UDP/IP, it by definition has
an IP address.  If it send the message locally, then I think 127.0.0.1
(local IP) is more appropriate.

But I am assuming that we won't use syslog-protocol through say local
UNIX pipes like syslog does now locally on say Solaris.  If we do want
to support that, than we need the case of an unspecified IP.  But if
syslog is used over TCP/IP, "unspecified IP" is an oxymoron.

Anton.