> Rainer:
>
> Just my 2 cents...
>
> I am not in favor of informational RFC describing some behavior "as
> seen in the wild". If you want to create a standard - that's a different
> matter.  But an informational RFC just clouds the water because it makes
> an appearance of describing a standard, while not really making any
> standard.

Good, so you don't have any technical problems with doing it.

> This has been a point of major confusion around syslog RFC 3164, for
> example.  I have personally had to explain over and over to a lot of
> engineers/managers that it is not a standard and "compliant"
> implementation can send petty much anything yet claim consistency with
> that RFC. That's what you end up with when you don't have strict
> requirements in the RFC.

Have you also mentioned to your engineers/managers that all of the
Cisco devices, for years and years, were RFC 3164 compliant ?

Or that this RFC documents an otherwise undocumented protocol that
they have been implementing for years ?

What you're describing are organisation problems and not the domain
of this working group to solve.

Darren