As one of the many lurkers on this list, I have been monitoring this WG's activities and I'm a bit concerned with the recent posts. I had high hopes that some form of logging standardization might materialize, but that now seems to be in question.

Recent regulations within the U.S. (e.g., SOX, HIPAA, SEC, FDA, etc.) and other countries are forcing organizations to implement "accountability" measures. Audit logging (as well as authentication and authorization) is a critical element of these accountability measures. Seems to me that this WG might want to step up and standardize the way this gets handled. If nothing else, it could give the WG a little more focus.

-Eric

Eric A. Hibbard, CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, ISSEP
Senior Director, Data Networking Technology

Chair, SNIA Security Technical Work Group

Office of the CTO
HITACHI DATA SYSTEMS
750 Central Expressway, MS 3407
Santa Clara, CA 95050-2627