Darren:

> > WG,
> > <PRI>VERSION TIMESTAMP HOSTNAME APP-NAME PROCID [SD-ID]s MSG
>
> I would put the SD-IDs after the message.
>
> The SD-IDs and detailed bits of meaning to the MSG and
> without the MSG, are irrelevant.  The exception being a
> language marker.

I would prefer SD-ID where it is in example.  I would also re-iterate
suggestion of having MSGID in the header, which a number of people supported.
Those two combined are arguably more important than the MSG part itself.  For
example (in abbreviated syntax:

host.domain.com MyApp proc1234 STARTED_UP [ip=1.1.1.1]: The applications has
started

I could live without the MSG here if it got truncated. The MSGID and SD-ID are
much more important in this case.  BTW, the possible truncation of text and its
variability (possible substitutable variables) is another reason why MSGID is
so useful. It makes it easier for intelligent receivers to do things like event
correlation.

Thanks,
Anton.