Darren & WG:

I have used this morning to compile a short list of currently existing
and deployed syslogds. As I suggested, I have sent several messages to
them. I suggest you have a look at the results at

   http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/existing-syslog.html

I do not see much in that result backing the theory that retaining the
old-style timestamp would do any good. Maybe I am overlooking the
obvious, so you can point me.

Ah, yes: Of course I see that sometimes the 3164 timestamp survives in
the first column of the log entry where the -protocol formatted does
not. But when I look at relaying, I think it is far better to have the
timestamp replaced by the time of reception than to have it throw away.
In most cases, digital signatures would be borken anyhow. Surprisingly,
the -protocol formatted message has a better chance to survive being
relayed by existing syslogd than the RFC 3164 formatted message.

I propose that we accept this testing as proof of irrelevance of
sticking with the rfc 3164 timestamp.

Anybody with a different view please object.

Rainer