I think having a "lightweight" secure transport option without requiring PKI is
good.  If one were to use PKI, no doubt TLS beats SSH as an established
standard.  But using PKI is not trivial and should not be a requirement IMO.

Based my experience with SSL/TLS on an unrelated product, private key
configuration is a very frequent support issue. Of course, some of it could be
streamlined with better tools and documentation, but whatever you do it is not
as easy as a setting shared secrets.

So, I'd prefer to have a basic secure transport option that allows for using a
shared secret. If that transport does not provide for privacy, I am fine with
that. The added benefit thought is that it is transport-agnostic and adds no
overhead on proxies. The validation on receiver end can also be delayed until
message is actually used (if at all).

Anton.