Hi,

I have been told that Huawei patents date back no longer than 2001. This
seems to confirm it:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=2&u
=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PG01&s1=HUAWEI&Page
=Next&OS=HUAWEI&RS=HUAWEI

Also, David said "I believe the applicant is permitted to not disclose
the claims for
eighteen months.". Assuming this holds true, and speaking only of US
patents, this seems to mean that the patent in question can not date
back to later than 2004.

In contrast, Google has a newsgroup post about syslog-ng and stunnel
from 1999:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.security.unix/browse_thread/thread/d
125f044c5f8ba4a/6c87c15ddff26516?lnk=st&q=syslog-ng+stunnel&rnum=118#6c8
7c15ddff26516

I guess there are many more samples of prior art (e.g. during the
formation of this WG, some texts I wrote myself in 2004, many more
howtows pre-2000 and probably stunnel changelogs and installations).

This all brings me to the conclusion that this is not only insane but
mostly irrelavant. Of course, someone needs to object the patent if it
is awarded (which unfortunately seems to be more than possible). The
question is who will do that (and what it costs). But besides that,
there should be no problem.

What a rotten system the patent system has become...

Back to on-topic: I think we can continue with -transport-tls, though I
have to admit I am still hesitant to put too much effort into it myself.
Probably those claiming rights should also do at least a little work on
it ;)

Rainer