My choices in order of preferrence, in that order:

1 (best) LF as delimiter, no byte counting
  (because of compatibilit with existing solutions)
  we need to escape LF and the escape character
  inside MSG, NO byte-couting

2 byte-counting only

3 (worst choice) LF & byte-couting (see requirements
  for LF at 1

Rainer