From: Chris Lonvick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:18 PM
To: Rainer Gerhards
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Syslog] clonvick WGLC Review of
draft-ietf-syslog-sign-20.txt

Hi Rainer,

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

Hi,

So far, I have not been able to do a full review. But this
triggers my
attention immediately...

Perhaps restructure that as:

    A Signature Block message that is compliant with RFC xxxx
[14] MUST
    contain valid APP-NAME, PROCID, and MSGID fields.
Specifically, the
    value for APP-NAME MUST be "syslog" (without the
double quotes).
    The value for MSG-ID MUST be "sig" (without the double
quotes).  The
    value for the PRI field MSUT be 110, corresponding to
facility 13
    and severity 6 (informational).  The Signature Block
is carried as
    Structured Data within the Signature Block message, per the
    definitions that follow in the next section.

Similar in Section 5.3.1.

Syslog-protocol does not reserve any specific values for APP-NAME,
PROCID and MSGID. So (at least theoretically), another
implementor migth
use the suggested values for any other case.

As an implementor, I would probably like to consistenly use the same
APP-NAME. For example, all messages in rsyslog will be logged as
"rsyslogd".

I have just quickly read the IANA section (9.1): there is no such
registry like "APP-NAME". It might eventually be a good
idea to create
one, but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble. In any
case, I think
that must be spelled out in -protocol (else I can implement somthing
compliant to -protocol but not -sign). Same goes for MSGID.

My recommendation (without a full read of the document...)
is to remove
any dependencies on APP-NAME, PROCID and MSGID and use
structured data
fields for them. Otherwise, I foresee that I need a lot of hardcoded
exception inside a syslog implementation to "mangle" this
fields so that
the happen to be right for -sign while they are invalid
from the overall
application point of view.

We're going to have "ssign" and "ssign-cert" as the SD-IDs used for
syslog-sign.  I don't think that there are any dependencies
on APP-NAME,
PROCID and MSGID for the proper working of syslog-sign;

From the quoted text above:

    value for ####APP-NAME MUST be "syslog"#### (without the double
quotes).
    The value for ####MSG-ID MUST be "sig"#### (without the double

If APP-NAME and MSG-ID *MUST* contain something specific, I think there
is a strong dependency.

they're just there
to make sure that these messages are placed consistently into
the right
bins.  The "ssign" and "ssign-cert" SD-IDs will be reserved for this.

I do not see how this addresses the concerns I mentioned above. I can
not implement it without interfering with my application design in a way
that I do not find justified. How does mandating a specific APP-NAME and
MSG-ID make sure that they are put into the right bins? Many stock
syslogds can not even filter on these fields...

Rainer