<inline>

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Hartman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "David Harrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "'tom.petch'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Syslog] An early last call comment on protocol-19

>     David> Hi WG, If ISO is a subset of what is covered by BCP047,
>     David> then would it be acceptable to REQUIRE the ISO subset
>     David> mandatory-to-implement-for-compliance for interoperability
>     David> purposes, and implementations MAY support other languages
>     David> in BCP047 with no assurance of interoperability with
>     David> standard-compliant implementations?
>
> No, I'd really need a fairly strong justification that went through
> the languages you were not supporting and explained why that was
> appropriate for syslog.
>
> BCP 47 is by definition the IETF's best current practice for language
> tagging.  Absent a compelling reason to do something else, you should
> identify languages that way.  Tom has not (so far) presented a
> compelling reason.

Pity, I had hoped that David's compromise would be acceptable.  RFC4646 (the
current BCP0047) is a magnificent piece of work and does enable the generator of
text to specify quite precisely how it should be interpreted.  I love the
differentiation between the dotted letter I of Azerbaijan and Turkey, in fact
all the comments about Azerbaijani, Mongolian and Icelandic.

What concerns me is conformance, what does it mean that a parameter MUST conform
to this BCP or any other, an issue that has surfaced on this list before.  If we
just changed the reference so that the I-D were to read
"it MUST contain a two letter language identifier as defined in BCP0047 [13}"
then I have no problem but this does rather negate the intent of the BCP.

The BCP defines two levels of conformance (s.2.2.9) and I suspect that even the
lower level requires online access to the IANA website so what does a receiver
of a syslog message do?  Take it as an opaque character string?  Check the ABNF?
Do as RFC4646 specifies, for well-formed or validating conformance?

I suggest anyone considering this question look at the current online registry
as well as RFC4646, and note such comments as
'"en-a-bbb-a-ccc" is invalid'
whereas
 'the tag "en-a-bbb-x-a-ccc"' is valid; or
"sl-IT-nedis" is suitable but "it-IT-nedis" is not.  It is beautiful.

The issue I see is conformance.  What can we expect the recipient of a syslog
message to do without placing a significant burden thereon?

Note too that RFC4646 defines a character string so we also have to specify an
encoding thereof, another issue that has surfaced on this list before.

Tom Petch