Glenn,

OK, it looks like we get to the root of the issue: our understanding of
facility is fundamentally different.

You assume that facility is indeed a semantic entity that uniquely
identifies an "originator" (that part of the system, that originally
generates the MSG content).

I do not understand how this can work. Can you please explain to me how
a set of only 24 different values is able to uniquely identify
application classes?

In a practical example, can you please explain me which facilities must
be used by these "originators" (randomly selected):

- http daemon
- dns daemon
- firewalls
- scp daemon