[Strictly speaking as an implementor, not as a draft editor]

I second Juergen's point of view.

I go even further. When receiving, I take great care not to loose any
message. Under stress conditions (e.g. low system memory), I accept lage
deformations of the message. Checksums are my least concern and I
wouldn't discard a message "just" because the checksum is invalid. I
will defintely ignore any such MUST in a RFC, at least by default. I
may, however, flag this message as being in error (which possibly means
it ends up in a different bin). The reasoning behind all this is that a
vital message might be lost forever and it is better to receive it in
some degraded state. At least this is what my *actual* users are
requesting.

Rainer