I think this protocol should only address the concerns for the syslog
messages delivered out from its originating box. We should not get into
the syslog application to regulate how it should behave. Besides, there
are typically syslog relay devices before the messages reach its target
receiver boxes to make it much more complex.

We should let users determine, via configurations, what syslog messages
are of concerns/interests to them instead of having this protocol
stating
a policy dictating what messages to be dropped.

Steve

There
>       is generally no way for the application to detect the condition
>       prior to blocking.
>     * non-blocking syslog generator gets an input queue error - the
best
>       it can do is signal back to the application.  What syslog
>       implementation actually does this?
>     * a non-blocking syslog relay starts getting input queue errors.
It