----- Original Message -----
From: "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "tom.petch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "David Harrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Miao Fuyou'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Rainer Gerhards'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "syslog"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Syslog] transport-tls-11 review

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 11:13:04AM +0100, tom.petch wrote:
>
> > Also, there are forms of TLS with authentication where no
> > certificates are required and we should cater for those; they may
> > become - I hope - quite widespread.
>
> Can you be more concrete what you have in mind?

 Using SRP for TLS Authentication,

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-srp-14.txt

is one such; it allows for server certificates and for the absence thereof.

Pre-Shared Key Ciphersuites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)

  ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4279.txt

is another but, as it points out,

   If the main goal is to avoid Public-Key Infrastructures (PKIs),
   another possibility worth considering is using self-signed
   certificates with public key fingerprints.

Tom Petch