I'm a happy Arch Linux user of systemd.  I want to share a few of my
thoughts about systemd's interaction with the system hostname.

Here's my understanding of how systemd currently sets the hostname
    * hostnamed is included in the systemd package

* During early boot systemd makes a call to hostnamed and the hostname is
    set to the value in /etc/hostname

My proposal for systemd's interaction with the hostname
* hostnamed & nss-myhostname are packaged together in a 'hostnamed' package

    * systemd requires this new package

* A 'Set Hostname' unit is distributed with systemd. Users and distros are
    free to override the unit if needed

* (Wishlist/Off topic) Has any thought been given to having the various ttys
    and syslogs listen via dbus for a hostname changed signal so they can
immediately change the hostname displayed and their log messages. Are there
    any other apps/daemons that could benefit from doing this?

My reasoning
* I have a use case where I need to change the hostname on each boot at boot time. I'm able to do this with a custom 'Set Hostname' unit but my logs always show the hostname from the previous boot because systemd sets it to the value in /etc/hostname before I can change it. I also loose time at
    boot because hostname is being set twice.  If I could just set an
ExecStartPre on a systemd provided 'Set Hostname' unit my isues would be
    solved.

* There is absolutely nothing systemd specific about hostnamed (Correct me if I'm mistaken). Non-systemd distros/users can benefit from hostnamed without
    hassle if it's maintained outside of the systemd tree

Downside to my method
    * Hostname is set a few milliseconds later in the boot process

Upsides
* Flexibility to support my and yet to be forseen use cases for a dynamic
    hostname change at boot without effectively setting the hostname twice
    and having an incorrect hostname in syslog messages

    * Non-systemd distros get to easily share in the greatness of hostnamed

I've been thinking about this issue for awhile but this email was sparked when I
noticed an item on the TODO for systemd that mentions an intent to
pull nss-myhostname into systemd.

Sorry for such a long first mail but please share your thoughts.

-Jerome