Lennart Poettering píše v St 08. 08. 2012 v 18:31 +0200:
> On Tue, 07.08.12 16:35, Václav Pavlín (vpav...@redhat.com) wrote:
>
> I am not sure we should include the units from "list-unit-files" in the
> output of "list-units", as this would increase the output quite a bit,
> and would be hardly helpful in many cases, and slow.

I didn't really meant to include output of one "list-uni*" parameter to
another. Those lists does not have much in common and, as You point out,
merged output could be slow.

> So, dunno, I am not entirely sure how to expose this best. We probably
> should get the interface right, and agree how this would be exposed to
> the user, before we actually think about implementing it. Neither of the
> three options I currently see (extend "systemctl list-units", extend
> "systemctl list-unit-files", add a new systemctl verb) are that
> pretty in my eyes.

I would vote for the "new systemctl verb" option.

> If we present the user with a list like this we probably should show a
> tree view of some kind since the unit file getty@.service might get
> instantiated a couple of times as "getty@tty1.service" and so on, and
> hence is in a tree-like relationship.

I like the idea of the tree view, but I cannot imagine how it can help
to solve autocompletion problem. If I get it right, getty@.service is
template file, which cannot be manually instantiated, so it can be
omitted from the output (User cannot do anything with it, right?). On
the other hand, getty@tty1.service is an instance, which can be stopped,
restarted etc., and it will be listed in list-units output (and then in
merged output of new systemctl verb as well).

> Another option would be to add a notice about "systemctl
> list-unit-files" in the footer of "systemctl list-units". That should
> already be a big imprvoement, since most people probably interrpet the
> current advice of using "--all" like this.

It would be helpful, but, again, does not solve the autocompletion
problem.

> Another option would be to add "systemctl complete" as hidden option for
> usage only by bash completion, that does the merging.

This makes sense to me. It could be even something like "systemctl
list-autocomplete-units".

> Yes, storing this in a hashmap does make sense. But really, before we
> get hacking we should think about the UI of this.

Ok, I will wait for your agreement.

Václav