On Fri, 27.12.13 23:12, Thomas H.P. Andersen (pho...@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a heads up that libcap now includes a pc file in version 2.23.
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/morgan/libcap.git/commit/?id=dfea7eba31e6d15e8a63f818bb4438340b70a8c9
> (The commit message gives me way more credit than I deserve. Bryan
> Kadzban did all the work. I just herded cats)
>
> This makes the "Minimal Builds" page on the wiki out of date. It says:
> "Note that the .pc file trick mentioned above currently doesn't work
> for libcap, since libcap doesn't provide a .pc file. We invite you to
> go ahead and post a patch to libcap upstream to get this corrected.
> We'll happily change our build system to look for that .pc file then."
>
> The page also says that dbus is a build time dependency which is of
> course not true any more.
>
> I guess it is too early to change both build system and wiki?

Regarding dbus: We should probably wait until we actually released a
version where dbus is no longer a dependency. Currently this is only in
git.

And regarding libcap: we should probably wait until the .pc file showed
up in a distro or two (in fedora rawhide preferably, since that would be
the most practical for me ;-)), and then we should change our configure
code to make use of it instead of looking manually for the library.