On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Colin Walters <walt...@verbum.org> wrote:

RuntimeDirectory=/run/mydaemon
PersistentStateDirectory=/var/lib/mydaemon

Btw, see also this thread:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/server/2014-February/000843.html

Putting these together (and how about we just go ahead and mandate /run and /var/lib), we could have something like:

RuntimeDirectory=yes

That would auto-instantiate /run/$SYSTEMD_UNIT_NAME.

Similarly,
PersistentStateDirectory=yes
would give you /var/lib/$SYSTEMD_UNIT_NAME

Notably, this would help administrators move away from the package being the central naming unit and more towards systemd being the basis for names. (It is confusing that one has to deal with package names, systemd unit names, and process names, which can all be the same, closely related, or wildly different)