Separating the unit to sync time from the ones featuring OnCalendar by time-sync.target (or any arbitrary target used as "separating wall") worked exactly as expected on ARM and is indeed a workaround for the problem. Couldn't reproduce the need to set DefaultDependencies=No in the units featuring OnCalendar as stated in the ToDo item but that could have been me, of course.

Also, I tried to simulate the lacking RTC on an x86 QEMU guest by setting the VM's RTC to a date in the past for the sake of quicker reboots. Without using time-sync.target as disscussed *.timer units featuring OnCalendar did get started before the time was set yet setting the time did not trigger the corresponding *.service. This seemed worth mentioning to me as Tobias stated his patch was tested on a system featuring an RTC only so far.