On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 05:07:10PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > Hey, if you have patches already, I'll be glad to look at them :)
>
> OK well I'll spin what I have then, but I'm reviewing Wu's solution
> from February as well. I take it we'd want the async_schedule()
> approach rather that one based on kthread_create() right?

Yes, that would be the best solution.

> > And we can't do async for all drivers, we tried that 5+ years ago and
> > lots of things broke, so we need to enable it on a case-by-case basis,
> > unfortunately...
>
> Odd, I only had one thing that didn't come up and it was my keyboard,
> and I think I might know what the issue was. If enabled for all
> drivers would it have been easy to spot issues or was it obscure
> things? My system didn't blow up so I'd like to know what types of
> things blew up.

It was all sorts of odd machines, not "normal" laptops and desktops from
what I remember.  Turns out that the link order really is needed for
lots of embedded systems.  We've gotten better now that we have a
deferred probing, but there is still a lot of dependency information in
link order that is needed on some machines.

thanks,

greg k-h