> From: wor...@alum.mit.edu (Dale R. Worley)

>        When reading /etc/fstab a few special mount options are
>        understood by systemd which influence how dependencies are
>        created for mount points from /etc/fstab. [...]  If
>        x-systemd.device-timeout= is specified it may be used to
>        configure how long systemd should wait for a device to show up
>        before giving up on an entry from /etc/fstab. Specify a time in
>        seconds or explicitly specify a unit as s, min, h, ms.
>
> I haven't tried this yet, but it should suffice for my problem.

OK, that test failed:  systemd does *not* stop attempting to mount a
partition after x-systemd.device-timeout has passed.

Here's the line in /etc/fstab:

    /dev/Freeze02/Store2                /Store         ext4
nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1m,defaults     0 0

And here's /run/systemd/generator/Store.mount:

    # Automatically generated by systemd-fstab-generator

    [Unit]
    SourcePath=/etc/fstab
    DefaultDependencies=no
    After=local-fs-pre.target
    Conflicts=umount.target
    Before=umount.target

    [Mount]
    What=/dev/Freeze02/Store2
    Where=/Store
    Type=ext4
    FsckPassNo=0
    Options=nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1m,defaults

Dale