> Mike Gilbert [2014-12-28 12:41 -0500]:
>> From Lennart's commit message, it seems like this was done intentionally.
>
> The addition of libdir was certainly intentional, that's why I didn't
> propose to just remove libdir. But it looks like this was just missing
> to adjust the install location accordingly?

just my 2c:

well, the addition of libdir was to be able to find the libdir for the
"primary" arch (however you might define that), moving the pc file
with this info to $libdir/pkgconfig makes that argument moot since you
need to know libdir in order to know libdir.

So if I can follow lennart correctly there are 2 possible ways:
- have libdir in the pc file in /usr/share and make it to denote the
"primary" arch (which is the current situation)
- not have libdir in the pc file at all and still have the pc file in
/usr/share (since libdir does not make sense if the file is in
$libdir/pkgconfig, and it is the only reason why it might not belong
in /usr/share)

I have no preference between the 2, but moving the pc file to
$libdir/pkgconfig just does not make sense.

Greetings.

Simon