On 05/13/2016 01:23 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Thu, 12.05.16 12:34, Chris Friesen (cbf...@mail.usask.ca) wrote:

I booted the kernel with "net.ifnames=0", which worked to turn off the
location-based naming.

I then created a set of files, one per eth device that match based on MAC:

[root@compute-0 root]# cat /etc/systemd/network/10-eth
10-eth0.link  10-eth1.link  10-eth2.link  10-eth3.link

Here's an example of one of the files:

[root@compute-0 wrsroot]# cat /etc/systemd/network/10-eth0.link
[Match]
MACAddress=08:00:27:f1:36:11

[Link]
Name=eth0

"eth*" is the kernel's namespace for ethernet devices. Stepping into
that namespace, and racing against the kernel's name assignment logic
is something you can only lose at.

Pick any other name, but assigning names in the kernel's own
namespace, that's not really supported.

Okay, fair enough.

Since I still need to do this for now, I changed the kernel to start naming at eth1000 so I could then rename it back down to the desired range.

Chris