On Thu, 17 May 2018, Igor Bukanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a service unit for nginx that uses Type=forking and PIDFile.
> That works, but occasionally I see in the log a message like
>
> nginx.service: PID file /run/nginx/nginx.pid not readable (yet?) after
> start: No such file or directory
>
> After investigating this father I see the reason for this is that
> nginx creates the pid file in a child process, not in the parent (at
> least this is how I interpret their code). As the parent may exit and
> systemd may respond to it before the child writes the pid, that leads
> to the above message.

The message is essentially harmless, at least when you're talking about
initial service startup.

It _is_ better for the PID file to be written out before the initial
process exits, but systemd will handle things correctly even if they
happen the other way around. Essentially the service won't be considered
to have completed activation until both events occur. If one or the other
takes too long (i.e. longer than the TimeoutStartSec= setting), the unit
will fail.

I think the only time this is actually a problematic situation is if the
service is in a fully activated state, and the main process goes away
before its replacement writes out a new PID file. There's a window there
when systemd can think that the main process has simply decided to exit
itself. In this case it will stop the unit.

On the other hand, if this sequence of events was initiated because the
admin explicitly reloaded the service through systemd, then again systemd
will, as far as I know, be happy with these two events happening in the
wrong order. I'd need to check the code more thoroughly to be sure of this
though.

For what it's worth, there is an "introduce Type=pid-file" item in the
systemd TODO that seems like it would help with these kinds of problematic
services. I see value in having something that simply waits for a PID file
to appear, and doesn't care whether any processes exited in the meantime.

As an example use-case, authors of scripts currently need to use
systemd-notify and NotifyAccess= to implement reliable service startup
notification. With Type=pid-file, however, they could just do:

  #!/bin/sh

  # Run various setup stuff, possibly "exit 1"
  # if there's a problem ...

  # All good, tell systemd we're active
  echo $$ >/run/some-script.pid

  # ...

As it happens, I actually have some code to implement Type=pid-file, but I
never got around to finish cleaning it up and raising a pull request. I
should probably dig it out and raise a PR.